Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Piggy's Daddy and a Crossroad

I don't know why Gatlin let me make it. He seemed surprised that I even knew who he was. I mean it was agents everywhere and he let me go. Naturally I invited him in for breakfast. He obliged. It was then I realized that I was inappropriately dressed. I excused myself upstairs. My Mattie Mae was still asleep. I put on a bra. Grey T.shirt. Dungarees. House Slippers. Went back downstairs. Typical G-man. Only he had style. Still even with all those designer tags on you could see law enforcement. I watched him look at the pictures on my Mattie Mae's wall. I startled him a lil bit. "You want some coffee?" "Yeah I'll take a cup. Beautiful woman." He was looking at a portrait of Madison Hayes. An old picture from her years at Prairie View A&M. "Thank you. I got some eggs and grits. Sausage and pork chops. Follow me." I think he intrigued by me. I don't really know why. I'm more intrigued by him. He's not your typical agent. Reckon that's why he is where he is with the bureau. So much for all that now. They were after me and my whole team. And Gatlin had just pissed them off. My piglet comes in. "Who are you?" He smiles. Extends his hand. "My name is Michael. Nice to meet you." Cobee stares at him for a bit. Shakes his hand. "My name is Courtney but most everybody call me Cobee." I smile. He's such a man. Six years ago, I fell in love in an all new way. Gatlin winks at me. I fix Cobee's plate and he takes it in the den. Gatlin sits down at the table. "So you cook too?" I put grits and eggs and a pork chop on his plate. "Yeah, does that surprise you? Rough and tough Courtney Coyle can get down in the kitchen when needed." He smiles. Gatlin is handsome no lie and I imagine he's something else with the ladies but he can't even look me in the eye. He's a square. I'm attracted to him though. "What's your plan Gatlin? You didn't let me make it for nothing." He took a sip of coffee. Looked away. "Coyle, you know you need you a lawyer right? The rest of your team has already been arrested. Captain Fairfield, Ray, Harrison, I mean all of em. You know with you being the only woman they're going to roll over on you first." I didn't blink. Hell I had the best lawyer in South Texas. I called her mommy. I knew they probably had some serious charges against me. "Tameika Benford. You got a package on her?" He grinned. "Your right hand lady huh? Beautiful chick. Glad to know yall run in packs. She's clean. For now." I breathed a sigh of relief. Meika wasn't no snitch but if I could avoid her being involved with my mess the better for everybody. "Loyalty. Don't see that often in our line of work, Coyle but its pouring from you everywhere. I gotta respect that. I don't know if you're guilty of any of the things they say but its something about you I dig." That statement made me blush. Little did he know I was probably guilty of all those things. I ate my breakfast and thought. I thought about him. My son. Mattie. And how Gatlin throwing me a lifeline could benefit me and my organization. I knew that Derrick Thompson had been trying to get in touch with me. Reckon I'd call him back sometime today. One thing for sure I knew what Gatlin was saying was true. They would definitely hang Piggy for whatever. No doubt about it. Wasn't really no loyalty in this game no more. "How come you ain't got no man, Piggy?" I ignored him. This mf thought he could get in my head? Laughable. "I got a man. You just met him. He told you most everybody call him Cobee." He laughed. "Tell me. Why are you here? I mean why are you sitting in my grandmother's kitchen with me eating porkchops and eggs?" I crossed my arms across my chest. This meant I was serious. He needed to tell me something. "Truth is Courtney, I just can't see you being guilty of all this. You too tough for me yo." There go that laughing again. What the hell was so funny? Gatlin was thinking with the wrong head. He wasn't a total square mind you. He had St. Louis show me state written all over him. I needed him to have a clear head. Something about him I felt my organization needed. Just didn't know how he was gone do it. You see you don't turn away from the agency. It just don't happen like that. My phone rings and I almost choke. It's him. I had set Just Like Daddy as his ringtone. My hands were shaking. I answered the phone and I was again that eight year old little girl. "Daddy!!! Where are you?" Tears streamed my face. Silence on the other end. Gatlin sat across from me ears perked. You see my daddy is _____ and he's supposed to be dead or smart enough not to ever resurface. "Trouble, its good to hear your voice." I wiped my nose and twirled my locks around my finger. I gave Gatlin a look of death and excused myself to another room. "Daddy, I need you. Tell me what to do. Mike Walker said to rule this mf with an iron fist. Tell me what to do." I heard tears in my father's voice. I had never heard them there before. "Trouble, this ain't for you. You don't wanna keep doing this baby." I sniffled. You wanna know what breaks Piggy? This man would always pull at the strings of my heart. The stiff nigga I would always love and respect. "Daddy I need you. Tell me what to do?" I heard him behind me. "Where is he? You know where ____ is?" I turned around. Gatlin wasn't loyal to me. Here in lies a dilemna then. "Trouble, who is that?" "Hey Jack, I'll talk to you later." "Trouble, you ok? Remember the song?" "Love won't let me leave, Jack." Chrome feels good in my hands. I had already done away with Drell for being untrustworthy. There was a three million dollar purse on _____'s head. Gatlin didn't have to worry about taking me in or anyone else for that matter if he thought he would come anywhere near my daddy. He's got his hand on my shoulder my back to him. I hang up my cell phone. Mattie Mae upstairs and my piglet in the other room. Hearing my daddy's voice knowing he was okay was the most comforting thing to me. I couldn't bring any more despair on my loved ones. I'd just promised Lv I'd be careful. "Gatlin, my daddy the only thing I got. Don't make me choose between him or you cuz you gone lose." Taken so much from people but so scared to lose. My daddy, ____ is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment