Sunday, July 31, 2011

Life Goes On!

I woke up hungover. I was in my bed naked with one pump on. My blonde locks were everywhere. I dragged myself out of the bed. My bedside clock read 8 am. I could see the Houston sun streaming through my window. I stood in front of my window and peered outside. My neighborhood was woke. It was time for me to get a move on. I wondered what time Katy had left last night. I had gotten high right in front of her. Yesterday was crazy. Clearly someone was trying to kill me. I didn't feel like sitting around pondering about who. The list could go on. I turned on Pandora trying to find some music to soothe me. I took a quick shower and put on a silk night shirt no panties. Now what was I going to eat? Turned the television on and Good Morning America was still on. I think I'll make myself an omelette. I pulled out eggs, spinach, ham, and sharp cheddar cheese. So rarely did I have the opportunity to cook but when I did, it was great.Toasted an English muffin and poured myself a glass of orange juice. My cell alerted me to voicemail and text messages. The first message I heard was from my Baltimore lady, Symona Lisa. This bitch was fabulous and her accessories were to die for. She had made for me a custom pair of chain and feather earrings and I had been hooked. I really felt like her accessories would go well with my shoe enterprise. I didn't know much about her except that she was a hustler. She had come up from scratch and was now accessorizing the United States. I was planning to fly her in. Soon as I finished eating I would get online and order her a ticket. There was a knock on my door. I knew this could only be Ms. Mattie. She was my nosy but busy sixty five year old neighbor. I knew it was her because everyone else in the free world rung my doorbell and she consistently knocked. I answered the door and sure enough it was her holding a plate of freshly made Tea cakes. She kissed my cheek and pushed her way on in before I could object. "How you? I see you still in your bed clothes." She walked right into my living room. "You got this big fine house and don't half keep it clean. Let me get to work." I shook my head. Ms. Mattie would always come into my home to clean and gossip. I guess normally I should be offended but the truth is that was just her way. If she didn't clean it it wasn't CLEAN. I let her do her. "So anyway, I was meaning to call you. You know I got new curtains in the kitchen. I decided against butter. We went with the Sage color. Oh and you know I now know for sure that Luane is messing around with Harold. I told you didn't I?" I just listened. Mattie Mae would come over and ramble on and on about everybody's business. I didn't mind it too much. She kept my home spotless and she would always bake me something fresh. Besides I knew that she was lonely. Like me she liked to shop and I always felt like she understood me. "Yeah you said that Mattie." She went on. I watched her run a bucket of hot water. She poured a capful of bleach and then some lavender Fabuloso. "Anyway chile, something else I was gone tell you. Can't think of what it is. Oh, now I know. That damn councilwoman friend of yours, um Monet?" "Yeah what about her Mattie?" "Well she come poking around here the other day. I didn't like it. I snuck up behind her. She kept trying to figure that code on your door." Damn, I wonder what that shit was about? "Go on Mattie." "Well I asked her if I could help her. She said naw, come talking about you knew that she would be stopping by. Asked if I knew the code to your door. I told her I didn't even though you know I have one." I listened hoping for her to get to the climax. "Anyway, I asked her again about what she needed. Wouldn't tell me but I knew the heffa was up to no good. Well my timer went off which let me know that my soaps was on so I left her be. But I watched her during the commercials. Well finally she got the door open. She put in the code for the alarm and went in. I went back to Victor and them. About twenty minutes go by and this big tall guy with them dreadlock looking thangs them kids wear, well he come by and meet Monet and both of them go in your house. They was in there for about thirty minutes. He had tools with him." I looked around my home. My queendom had been violated, I see. There was something boiling inside of me. "Mattie, why didn't you call me?" She stopped mopping my kitchen floor long enough to give me that look. "Little girl, don't play with me. I did call you and when I did I got that stupid message 'Yo this Courtney, call me back'. Lord I wish you would change that. I didn't get an answer." What the hell were they doing in my house. Mattie went on cleaning and I was brainstorming. I went into my room. Nothing seemed out of place. I went into my shoe haven. It hadn't been compromised. I walked over to my office and it didn't appear to be disturbed. What could they have done. I sat in front of my computer and when I glanced down at the hard drive I saw a red light beeping. I moved my mouse and saw that someone was monitoring my activity on it. I went through my hard drive and sure enough a lot of my files had been copied. What was copied? Solitaire. Microsoft Word. FreeCell. Shit like that. My personal files and especially files that could incriminate me in a Texas courtroom, always went with me. I kept them on a zip file that hung on my key ring. So Shannon Monet thought she could kill me and steal from me huh. I quickly ordered a first class ticket from Baltimore to Houston. I got up and walked back into the living room where Mattie was and to my surprise there stood a muthafucker with his hand over her mouth. He had a gun to her head. There was sheer terror in her eyes. So here I was. I was cornered. I would not be killed in my own house and I knew that I would do whatever I needed to to save Mattie's life. "We need to talk, Piggy." I moved closer to my sofa and he raised his weapon. "Easy bitch. I've heard how sneaky you are." I raised my hands and sat down slowly on the sofa. "I'm sitting down so that we can talk. You can let my grandmother go. Mattie ain't got nothing to do with this." Mattie looked up at him and nodded her head in agreement. My hand touched the steel that was underneath the couch cushion. I was cold and today I would find out how cold I was with a gun. The goon kept talking. "No I can't let sweet Mattie go. She has to be here and that's the only way I know you'll pay attention." Through my plantation shutters I saw Meika's beamer pull up outside. This MF had no idea what was about to happen to him. All of a sudden my radio came on and Eightball and MJG's Life Goes On comes on. Mattie coughed. In that instant, I slid the safety off. He raised his gun to her. Meika rang the doorbell. Mattie coughs again. He forcibly pushes her. In an instant I fire a shot into his shoulder and Meika comes through my door with her .50. Mattie runs for cover. With backup, I stand over the bleeding goon. I look at Meika. She has come in like a raven avenger angel. She nods her head. I ask no questions. I pump one in his head. Mattie Mae screams and cries uncontrollably. Thing is I know that its my soul she crying over.

No comments:

Post a Comment