Sunday, December 4, 2011

Piggy Comes To....Be Prepared

I'm five years old again. Back on the porch with my mama. She is shelling purple hull peas. We're in Longview, Texas and my grandmother is in the kitchen cooking up a storm. Shades of red and purple are all around me now. I am sixteen and in high school. I see the cherry red '67 Pontiac GTO my daddy restored for me. I was the only girl at Madison with one like this. I named it Chase. Blues and hues of green. I'm walking across the stage at my graduation from the police academy. My twin and I did it together and my mama couldn't have been prouder. I see Brian and I kiss him. I remember the way I would feel when he would grab my hand. I now see shades of yellow and orange. I am sitting on the floor of my bathroom holding a stick that says I'm pregnant. Crying because I'm scared. Don't know how I will tell 50. We're still young. I'm fresh out of the academy. I'm about to be a mom. I watch him as he kisses his hand and touches my swollen belly. He was elated when he found out. I knew then that neither of us would ever be the same. Together we kiss all ten of Cobee's fingers and toes. Elated that we were parents. I started buying shoes. One pair one day then may three pairs on another day. Not just cheap pairs either no. Madden. Choo. Louboutin. Chinese Laundry. Nine West occasionally.  Finally I copped a pair of Manolo Blahniks and I ain't look back. I moved up in rank through the police department. Youngest in my department's history and only woman. Shades turn to hunter green. I see how my addiction to fabulous shoes turn into my excursion meeting with the DSW ese and my chance meeting with Ivory Albro. I feel funny. My blood is boiling. He double crossed me and it didn't take long for him to do it. Dealing with Albro I run into the love of my life. He's married now but we still have that chemistry. He warns me about Albro. It's because of him the plan is set into motion. I'm at a crossroad and there's no turning back now. I see Tameika Benford's smile and I'm renewed. Almost since the moment we reconnected albeit through Shannon Monet, she has been Team Piggy. She shoots first and ask questions later. Machete Mychelle has never let her love for me die and then there's Melodious. We're blood family and she ride for me too. I hear my mother's voice. "We'll get Rev. Caldwell to do the funeral. I want her dressed in her dress blues a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes that I'll pick out myself. I hear myself scream out! Nobody reacts. I am listening to my family plan my funeral. My mother cries. "I just keep thinking about my handsome grandson." What's wrong with my piglet? I try to get up but I can't move. I need them to hear me. "I called her daddy and he's coming outta hiding for her funeral." My daddy coming to see me? I felt something pop inside my chest. I could hear the machine next to me buzz. My eyes opened after a lot of light forced them open. My mouth was dry. Eyes open but very sore. Drell was the first person I saw. His face tear strained. I looked around and my mama had her back towards me. She was on her cell phone. There was a small radio that I could hear Bill Withers singing ain't no Sunshine when she's gone. Drell had his head in his hands. I realized then that I was in love with this man. "We're going to take her off life support in about an hour. You need to get up here to say goodbye!" I heard her ask Drell, "I am doing the right thing aren't I? I mean it's been thirty days and the doctors say she's gotten worse." "Mama, let me be the one to pull the plug." She screamed out and up to Jesus. Drell took my hand and rubbed the side of his face. He and my mama both planted kisses on the side of my face. I figured now God has other plans for me. It was all coming back. Now I would focus on getting myself better and ensure that my Piglet knew how much I loved him and then see to it that the Embassy remained intact!

No comments:

Post a Comment